14 November 2016
NEXT HOME GAME: Jersey Reds clash landmark fixture
After a week off from the rigours of professional rugby, the players are back in training as they gear-up for back-to-back Greene King IPA Championship games against Cornish Pirates and Jersey Reds respectively.
A trip to Penzance beckons for London Irish this Saturday (kick-off 1pm), before the Exiles turn their attention to Jersey at the Madejski Stadium on Sunday 27th November (kick-off 2pm).
The Jersey clash will be the first ever competitive meeting between the two sides with tickets available by calling 0118 968 1016 or click here to purchase online.
With the match set to be a landmark fixture for both clubs, here’s some interesting facts about the island!
Did you know?
- Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands, measuring nine miles by five miles, and is divided into 12 parishes, most of them named after saints.
- Actor Henry Cavill, best-known for his role as Superman in the 2013 film Man of Steel is from Jersey.
- The island is neither part of the EU or the UK.
- New Jersey is named after Jersey as it was a gift from Charles II for the Island’s support during the English Civil War.
- The island is usually the hottest place in the British Isles during the summer months, with the temperature averaging a few degrees higher.
- The island’s history is reflected in the French road names and typical Jersey surnames as well as in the many historical artefacts and monuments that can be found around the island.
Upcoming Home Games
Sunday 11th December v Cornish Pirates, kick-off 3pm (British & Irish Cup)
Saturday 31st v Bedford Blues, kick-off 3pm (Greene King IPA Championship)