31 October 2017
The 2017/18 Anglo-Welsh Cup gets underway this weekend, with London Irish welcoming Bath Rugby to the Madejski Stadium on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
Nick Kennedy’s men make their return to the competition following a year’s absence and will undoubtedly want to make an impression.
With under 13s £1 throughout the stadium and adults from only £15, join us on Saturday at the Madejski Stadium with tickets available from www.lidirect.co.uk or call 0118 968 1016.
The Anglo-Welsh Cup can be tricky to understand, so here is a step by step guide to this season’s competition.
- Each team in Pool 1 will play each team in Pool 4 once and each team in Pool 2 will play each team in Pool 3 once.
- The club that wins the match will be awarded four match points or if it scores four tries five points.
- The club that loses the match will be awarded no match points unless they score four tries or if they lose by seven points or fewer, then they will be awarded one match point.
- Clubs that draw a match will each be awarded two match points and if they score four tries or more in the process will also be awarded a further one match point.
- The pool winners will qualify for the knock-out stage. The pool winners will be ranked 1–4 by reference to the number of match points earned in the pools.
- If two or more clubs in the same pool end the pool stage with an equal number of points, then the order in which they have finished will be determined by the greater number of matches won.
- If the number of matches won is equal, the club with the greater total number of tries scored will qualify for the knock-out stage.
- If the total number of tries scored is equal, the club with the greater points difference (points scored for, less points scored against) will top the pool.
- If the points difference is equal, the club with the fewer number of red cards go into the semi-finals.
- If the number of red cards is the same, the tournament organisers shall toss a coin.
The knock-out stages will consist of two semi-final matches and a final, which will take place at Kingsholm on Sunday 18 March 2018.
London Irish’s 2017/18 Anglo-Welsh Cup fixtures:-
Saturday 4 November (H) London Irish v Bath Rugby
Saturday 11 November (A) Gloucester Rugby v London Irish
Saturday 27 January (H) London Irish v Wasps
Saturday 3 February (A) Cardiff Blues v London Irish