20 October 2017
Senior Academy Team
London Irish Academy
Our Positive and Passionate coaches inspire, empower and ultimately develop the individual within an enjoyable but challenging environment. This allows the player to become more knowledgable and confident in their skill set, leading to both the individual and the team fulfilling their potential.
Built on a foundation of a Relentless work ethic, players scan and communicate to make both optimal individual and team decisions. In attack this results in using and creating space or identifying mismatches. In defence, the means taking away time and space of the opposition, whilst being Disciplined
About the London Irish Academy programme
The London Irish Academy, RFU licensed since 2001, is the cornerstone of our development programme and success at London Irish.
The role of the London Irish Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 13 to 23 and engage them in a High Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad. This is underpinned by Education from a variety of partners, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential.
We provide our young players with an environment in which they can grow, express themselves both personally and professionally and realize their dream of becoming professional rugby players. With graduates such as Topsy Ojo, Alex Corbisiero, Nick Kennedy, Tom Homer and Guy Armitage our record is second to none.
- To identify, recruit ad develop, from all sources, the most talented young players and bring them through the Academy into the 1st XV squad.
- To adopt a comprehensive recruitment policy in Berkshire, Hampshire and the Middlesex area.
- To provide top class coaching by qualified staff to give each Academy player the best opportunity to succeed.
- To provide the most appropriate individual player development, mentoring and support programs.
- To provide the most appropriate competitive program for each player and to constantly review performance in training and matches.
- To provide the best possible facilities for our players to succeed.
- To provide the opportunity for Academy players to continue in Further or higher Education.
- To build good working relationships with schools, Clubs, Colleges and Universities.
- To teach responsibility, discipline and respect for themselves and the game.
- To set high standards for integrity, honesty and performance