Match Report 

05 Nov 2010: London Irish v Sale Sharks

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Sale Sharks and matches between Exiles and Sharks over the years.

Match Report: 05 Nov 2010 London Irish v Sale Sharks

Sharks's Badge

Sale Sharks


London Irish's Badge

London Irish


Fixture Type: LV= Cup

Match Date: Fri 05 Nov 2010

Kick Off: 19:45

Venue: Edgeley Park

Referee: Llyr Ap Geraint-Roberts

Assistant Referee: Martin Buck

Assistant Referee: Rhys Davies

Although a young Irish team produced a late rally in the final quarter of last night’s LV= Cup match at Edgeley Park, it was a case of too little, too late in the face of a 39-0 lead by an experienced home team.

Sharks were 25-0 ahead at half time, extending it to 39 before allowing a spirited Exiles side to trouble the operator of the Edgeley Park scoreboard.

Man of the match Rob Miller put Sharks ahead with a 55 metre penalty within two minutes and, despite strong runs from Guy Armitage and Matt Garvey for London Irish, the visitors were swamped by livewire Dwayne Peel and his cohorts. The Welshman took a diagonal penalty after nine minutes which Brady caught out left and, in slithering over the line for his seventh try of the season, he damaged his left elbow and left the field to be replaced by Iain Thornley.

Play was end-to-end, with Paul Williams and Steffon Armitage producing dangerous thrusts, until the Sharks took control midway through the first half. Miller hit a post with a 50 metre penalty attempt before skipper Williams made a fine individual burst after 21 minutes, finding Fergus Mulchrone in support to score. The provider converted.

The Exiles never stopped trying, but, despite fine efforts from Gary Johnson, Guy Armitage and Chris Malone, their attacks were repulsed by a strong home defence.

Malone hit a post with a penalty attempt four minutes later, and David Paice put the Sharks under pressure by beating down a Miller clearance kick. Peel came to the rescue and the Sharks resumed their onslaught.

Brightwell, Boko and Williams all carved gaps in the visiting ranks, before Darren Allison produced a darting response. Sharks’ third try came after another quick Peel penalty. Brightwell made all the yards, releasing to Williams who sent Mulchrone over. Williams's conversion attempt was just short this time.

A rolling maul after 37 minutes gave Sale a sound attacking platform. From their advanced position, Miller and Peel went on a loop move, setting up the forwards who created a platform for Mulchrone to supply Iain Thornley with a try on his debut. Although Miller couldn't add the extras, his team had a 25-0 interval lead.

Ben Roberts became the fourth Sharks' debutant for the second half, but it was the Irish who spent plenty of time probing for an opening in a resolute home defence.

After 49 minutes, scrum half Darren Allison ended a wide arcing run by touching down, but he'd put a foot in touch. The resultant Sharks' lineout was put under severe pressure in traditional Irish fashion, and Leck did well to temporarily clear his lines.

On 55 minutes, the visitors were camped in the Sharks' 22, but were knocked back by an interception by Rhys Crane and a 70 metre dash for a try on his debut. Miller converted.

Hard as the Irish battered away, the Sharks were clinical finishers and on 62 minutes had Lee Imiolek to thank for crashing through the middle to allow replacement scrum half Chris Leck to finish off a direct assault down the centre. Miller converted again.

After 67 minutes, it was Irish's turn to run in an interception try from distance, the scorer being winger Marland Yarde. Malone added the extras.

Irish had territorial domination for the closing fifteen minutes, with Sean Cox stopping David Sisi in spectacular style before Karena Wihongi entered the field after 74 minutes. Less than a minute had elapsed before he was shown a yellow card. Yarde continued to be a dangerman, but the final score came as Chris Hala'Uifa wrapped up a forwards' try with three minutes left against the fourteen men. Malone again converted.

strong>Scorers: Sale Sharks: Tries: Brady (9), Mulchrone 2 (21, ), Thornley (37), Crane (55), Leck (62); Conversions: Miller 3. Penalty goals Miller (2). London Irish: Tries: Yarde (67), Hala’Ufia (77); Conversions: Malone 2.

Scoring sequence (Sale Sharks first): 3-0, 10-0, 15-0, 20-0, 25-0 (half-time) 32-0, 39-0, 39-7, 39-14.

Sale Sharks: 15 P Williams (captain)(rep: M James, 56), 14 T Brady (rep: I Thornley, 11), 13 C Bell, 12 F Mulchrone, 11 R Crane, 10 R Miller, 9 D Peel (rep: C Leck, h-t), 1 L Imiolek (rep: K Wihongi, 74), 2 M Jones (B Roberts, h-t), 3 H Thomas (rep: A Croall, 69), 4 C Jones (rep: D Hall, 62), 5 S Cox, 6 C Brightwell (rep: C Fearns, 62), 7 N McMillan, 8 A Boko.

London Irish: 15. J Lennard; 14. M Yarde; 13. E Seveali’i (captain); 12. G Armitage; 11. M Watson; 10. C Malone; 9. D Allinson; 1. D Murphy; 2. D Paice; 3. J Tideswell; 4. G Johnson; 5. M Garvey; 6. K Roche; 7. S Armitage; 8. C Hala’ufia.

16. B Blaney; 17. A Corbisiero; 18. P Ion; 19. K Low; 20. D Sisi; 21. J Joseph; 22. S Edgerley; 23. A Lalanne.

Referee: Llyr Apgeraint-Roberts (WRU)

Attendance: 5,106