Match Report 

07 May 2011: London Irish v Leicester Tigers

Please use the buttons below to see more information on Leicester Tigers and matches between Exiles and Tigers over the years.

Match Report: 07 May 2011 London Irish v Leicester Tigers

Tigers's Badge

Leicester Tigers


London Irish's Badge

London Irish


Fixture Type: Aviva Premiership

Match Date: Sat 07 May 2011

Kick Off: 15:00

Venue: Welford Road

Referee: Greg Garner

Assistant Referee: Rob Debney

Assistant Referee: Alan Biggs

Leicester Tigers scored three tries in the last ten minutes to come from behind to beat a spirited London Irish team.

The Exiles lead for the majority of the game, but after defending their own line for most parts of the encounter they finally succumbed at the death and the Tigers went onto secure the victory.

Leicester Tigers scored the first points of the game through a Toby Flood penalty on five minutes as the Exiles were penalised for slowing down the Tigers ball. The Exiles did however look assured in defence with Adam Thompstone putting a thunderous tackle on opposite number Matt Smith.

The Exiles continued to show solid defence and in doing so turned the ball over to create their first attacking option of the game. Steffon Armitage and Richard Thorpe were instrumental in turning over the Tigers ball, in doing so winning a penalty. Tom Homer stepped up and made the scores level after 13 minutes.

Four minutes later the Exiles were celebrating their first try of the game. Topsy Ojo sprung on a loose ball in the middle of the park and sprinted away to score under the posts. Tom Homer added the conversion to give London Irish a well-deserved 10-3 lead.

The Tigers scored their first try five minutes later. England scrum half Ben Youngs escaped the first tackle before offloading to Manu Tuilagi who drew Tom Homer and set winger Matt Smith in to score in the corner. This cut the away sides lead to just two points.

Tom Homer added his second penalty of the day after some fantastic individual brilliance to put his side on the front foot. Homer beat four tacklers before offloading to Adam Thompstone and then Dan Bowden who was tackled five metres out. The Tigers were penalised for being offside and Homer slotted the penalty over from straight in front to extend his sides lead to 13-8.

The home side as you would expect did come thundering back and could have scored their second try of the game but were thwarted by a superb tackle on Tom Croft by full back Tom Homer right in the corner. The Exiles went in to the break with a five point lead.

London Irish started the second half with little territory but a stern defensive effort. The Tigers were going nowhere and after 20 phases Topsy Ojo was found lurking with intent again in defence and latched onto another wayward pass to run 80 metres to score under the posts on 51 minutes.

Irish again showed great levels of maturity in defence when under immense pressure they were able to force the mistake and turnover having been camped on their own line for just under 10 minutes.

London Irish then put another dent on the Tigers score board with a third Homer penalty as the Tigers were penalised for being offside in defence. The Exiles were continuing to turn pressure into points every time they were in the Tigers 22 metre line, something the home side had so far failed to achieve.

Leicester did manage to cross for their second try of the game with 10 minutes left on the clock. Argentinian substitute Horacio Agulla crossed in the corner. Toby Flood missed the conversion and kept the Exiles with a 10 point lead.

The Tigers scored another try with just five minutes left through Anthony Allen which was converted by Toby Flood. This bought the home side to within three points of the Exiles.

The home support really got behind their side and they crept into the lead for the first time since the opening 10 minutes with Tom Croft making amends for his earlier miss when tackled by Tom Homer. The Tigers led 25-23.

It was the Tigers who had the final say as Alesana Tuilagi found himself out wide with the try line in front of him and sprinted away to score with the last play of the game. Toby Flood added the conversion to give his side a 32-23 win.

London Irish finish the season in sixth place and will play in next season’s Heineken Cup.

Score Sequence: (London Irish first) 0-3,3-3, 10-3, 10-8, 13-8, 20-8, 23-8, 23-13, 23-20, 23-25, 23-32.

Scorers: London Irish: Tries Ojo (2): Conversions: Homer 2: Penalties: Homer 3; Leicester Tigers: Tries: Smith, Agulla, Allen, Croft; A Tuilagi; Conversions: Flood 2; Penalties: Flood

London Irish team

15. Tom Homer; 14. Topsy Ojo; 13. Jonathan Joseph (Rep: Elvis Seveali’I, 72); 12. Seilala Mapusua (Rep: Chris Malone, 78); 11. Adam Thompstone; 10 Dan Bowden; 9. Paul Hodgson (Rep: Darren Allinson, 79); 1. Clarke Dermody (Captain) (Rep: Max Lahiff, 61); 2. David Paice (Rep: James Buckland, 66; 3. Faan Rautenbach (Rep: Alex Corbisiero, 45); 4. Nick Kennedy; 5. Bob Casey (Rep: Gary Johnson, 61); 6. Jamie Gibson; 7. Steffon Armitage; 8. Richard Thorpe (Rep: Chris Hala’ufia, 54)

Leicester Tigers team

15. Scott Hamilton; 14. Matt Smith (rep: Horacio Agulla, 67); 13. Manu Tuilagi; 12. Anthony Allen; 11. Alesana Tuilagi; 10 Toby Flood; 9. Ben Youngs (Rep: James Grindal, 78); 1. Marcos Ayerza (Rep: Boris Stankovich, 75); 2. George Chuter (Rep: Rob Hawkins, 62); 3. Martin Castrogiovani (Rep: Dan Cole, 54); 4. Ed Slater (Rep: Steve Mafi, 54); 5. George Skivington; 6. Tom Croft; 7. Craig Newby (Captain) (Rep: Been Woods, 70); 8. Thomas Waldrom

Referee: Greg Garner

Attendance: 24,000